Pages

Tuesday, June 26, 2007

EXPLORING PRODUCTION COSTS, PART II

heaven's embraceHeaven's Embrace Mandala Greeting Card - © 2007 Sue O'Kieffe - $4.00 + shipping and tax

Yesterday I contacted local artist Andrew Daniel, who is one of my heroes and role models, as well as a favortite of mine in the local art scene, to ask him to print one of my cards on his printer. After a bunch of exploration looking for less expensive sources for Epson ink without going the generic route, I began to question the need for printing my cards using archival ink. Andrew has gone this route and prints beautifully colorful cards, but doesn't use much black in his work. It is the depth and richness of the black ink that I think makes my cards look elegant. Of course, black is the most expensive of the inks and I am guessing I use two cartridges for every 100 cards I print. I am still tracking that information. I'm really grateful that he was willing to help me out. I'm going to see him this evening.

1 comment:

dianeclancy said...

Hi Sue,

You do such a fantastic job of finding incredible comments that enhance your gorgeous mandalas!! I love this one too ...

I am eager to hear how it went working with Andrew. I am glad he is willing to help you with printing some cards so you can see how they look. Did you ask him about paper too? That is another cost factor that I think he has figured out well.

Perhaps for the cards particularly, you wouldn't need archival ink. I wonder - perhaps not for the prints either. So much depends on where one is positioning oneself in the market. (and where one can afford to position oneself).

It is funny - in my printing, I use probably 5 light magenta for each black ...

I am eager to hear more!

~ Diane Clancy
www.dianeclancy.com/blog