Pages

Sunday, March 16, 2008

HOW TO MATCH COLOR USING PHOTOSHOP CS

Last week, while perusing the blogosphere, I came upon James Delaney's website that showed how to use this fun Photoshop feature I wanted to share. This feature is only available in the CS versions of Photoshop and was created to match a series of photographs with each other.
But look at what else you can do.
mad river




















I started with this ho-hum photograph of the Mad River, which flows parallel to the Pacific not far from where I live



sailing under the rain




















I found this painting online, Sailing Under the Rain, by Yoiche Tanabe. I liked it for its mood and colors.

Here are the steps:
  • Make sure both images are the same dimension
  • Make sure the image of River is active by clicking on it
  • Go to Image>Adjustments>Match Color
  • Under Image Statistics, choose Sailing Under the Rain as the source image
match color






















  • Fiddle with Luminance and Color Intensity sliders

sailing river























More experiments:

from the lake























Georgia O'Keeffe From the Lake


okeeffe river

























One of my mandalas, cropped.

camelia cropping























camelia river























Have fun!






4 comments:

Irene said...

Very neat trick, Sue. I like the first one the best because of the colors, but I can see how satisfying this is to try with all sorts of images.

The Artful Eye said...

Sue,

Are you working on a Mac or PC? I've recently switched over to a Mac and a bit lost, hacking my way around. I has previous version of PS for my PC now I have to re-purchase software.

I'm playing with PS Elements 4.0 right now.

I guess I need to bite the bullet and purchase CS3.

dianeclancy said...

Hi Sue,

This is great!! I didn't know about it really - sort of heard about it. Thank you!!

Artful Eye .. hope you enjoy your switch to Mac .. the software rebuy is the drag ... after that!

~ Diane Clancy
www.DianeClancy.com/blog
www.YourArtMarketing.com

Anonymous said...

very cool - someday my princess will phone

lazy sleepy john