Pages

Saturday, January 02, 2010

OCEAN SERIES #2 - Shore Magic Mandala

shore magic mandalaShore Magic Mandala (Ocean Series) © Sue O'Kieffe 2009
source image: gull feathersgull feathers

The ocean remains for me a magic place of immense power. Walking along the sand dunes, I become so aware of all the ways that life happens. The shore reveals life and death. Sometimes it's not so pretty. Feathers and bones stick up out of the sand. Shell bits, crab legs ... they leave behind a haunting memory.

I believe these feathers belonged to a seagull who reached the end of its cycle of life. I love sea gulls. They seem to have a distinct personality, and I have read that they have developed a series of calls and gestures to communicate with each other. I love how gulls tilt their heads and shine a dark, knowing eye your way.

The magic of gulls comes from the time they spend on the shoreline, which is a place of not quite land and not quite water. The shoreline is the domain of sea sprites and water spirits. It is the magic of gull medicine that I wanted to honor in this image. I was guided to create a seven pointed mandala. Seven is a mystical number in many ancient traditions. I used blue for the surrounding field not only to represent the power of the ocean, but also to remember the gull's fine communication skills, since blue is the color of the throat chakra. Perhaps spending time with this mandala will help you finely hone your own powers of communication in this coming new year.

Sue O'Kieffe
Sacred Circle Mandalas

1.

1 comment:

healingmagichands said...

This may be one of my favorite mandalas ever.

Blessed be and Happy New Year.