Pages

Sunday, April 12, 2009

I SENSE THERE IS THIS MYSTERY

depth of wonder mandalaDepth of Wonder - (Dream Mandala series) - © Sue O'Kieffe 2009
source image - red alder flower staminate


I Sense There is This Mystery: All Life is Being Lived

And yet, though we strain
against the deadening grip
of daily necessity,
I sense there is this mystery:

All life is being lived.

Who is living it then?
Is it the things themselves,
or something waiting inside them,
like an unplayed melody in a flute?

Is it the winds blowing over the waters?
Is it the branches that signal to each other?

Is it flowers
interweaving their fragrances
or streets, as they wind through time?

~ Rainer Maria Rilke

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

While I enjoy creating many different kinds of mandalas, it is the themes of mystery and wonder that intrigue me the most. While creating this image, I could not help but be drawn into its depth . It spoke to me of holiness. The mandala's 11 rays creates a bridge between the higher and lower realms and offers spiritual illumination. I thought this poem by Rilke, found on @gassho's (Pamir Kiciman) Twitwall posting a perfect accompaniment to this mandala.

This is my 250th post. I had other plans, originally, to mark this day, but spirit apparently has some other plans for me. Instead I will offer gratitude and thanks for all of those who have helped and inspired me along the way. I hope you know who you are...parents, teachers, lovers, friends, medical and spiritual advisors, different mentors...thanks for holding me up and helping me get to where I am. My open heart is full of appreciation for you all.

8 comments:

Doe Grozs Art said...

I'm glad you are here.
I am grateful for your mandalas and the words and who you are.. Happy 250th anniversary :-)
Gee, I don't even know how many posts I have....... haven't blogged in a bit either.
Big hug.
Doreen

Lin Neiswender said...

Happy Anniversary! The world is a better place because of you, Sue. Beautiful mandala, reminds me of old stained glass cathedral windows.

sema said...

beautiful mandala .The center draws you inside to calmness!

John M. Mora said...

Beautiful and powerful...my best Sue. congrats on 250, here is to continued vision...my best.

SueZen said...

For me your image is jewels set in a rich, intricate East Indian design. Very striking and apt to celebrate your 250th post. Rilke is perfect! Warmest wishes, SueZen

Brandon said...

In my art I also strive to connect with that mysterious feeling that used to seem so available as a child and has faded so much in adulthood

healingmagichands said...

A very happy anniversary to you. I have enjoyed being inspired by your mandalas over the time I have been visiting here.

I think it is appropriate that this very mysterious pattern seems to have many faces in it, facing each other, facing out. Somehow that mirrors all the different souls you acknowledged in the written part of this post.

Blessed be, Sue.

dianeclancy said...

Dear Sue -

Your mystery ones are my favorites too!! This has so much depth - I love it!

Congrats on your 250 post!! 250 gifts to the world. I am so glad we have met!!

~ Diane Clancy
www.DianeClancy.com/blogwww.DianeClancy.etsy.com