Pages

Tuesday, July 22, 2008

SIGNS OF LIFE - WHAT THE SHAPES MEAN

vision mandalaVision Mandala - (Reflection Series) - © Sue O'Kieffe 2008
source image - shrubbery

If you've been following my posts recently, you know that I've been writing about Angeles Arrien's book Signs of Life. After studying the art of many different cultures, Arrien discovered five universal shapes common to all of them. The meanings attributed to the shapes describes universal aspirations, needs, and fears; each shape symbolizes a specific inner and outer experience relevant to humankind. (p. 29)

CIRCLE - wholeness, completeness, the process of individuation - the circle remains humankind's primary symbol for unity and stands for the mythic theme of individuation.

EQUIDISTANT CROSS - relationship. This is a coupling, synthesizing, integrating and balancing process, which carries a need for connection - to a creative project, a group, another person, or oneself.

SPIRAL - growth and evolution; a process of coming to the same point again and again, but at a different level, so everything is seen in a new light. Strong need for variety, novelty and change.

TRIANGLE - goals, visions, and dreams. The triangle is associated with pyramids, arrowheads and sacred mountains. An inate gift of vision may not be recognized. Those involved in the triangle process have a great need to follow their dreams.

SQUARE - stability, solidity and security. The act of drawing a square mirrors the process of constructing a foundation. Those attracted to the square are ready to build, to implement a plan and to manifest ideas.
(pp. 31-66)



NEXT - putting it all together...




8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sue,
You beautiful, generous soul you. You are doing amazing work here. Thank you so much for sharing this information on the symbols. I will be back to your posts on this subject.

Blessings..and hugs..
Cheryl

The Artful Eye said...

Wonderful research here. I love this information.

Lisa said...

It just gets interestinger and interestinger. :)

Doe Grozs Art said...

I love all this info... another book to add to my list :-)
I see 'green man" here. Love the song here to. thanks so much for all these very cool mandalas that you do and sharing the information.
Doreen

healingmagichands said...

First of all, this series of mandalas you have been working on is very special. I like the triangle very much.

Second, the name of the author kept ringing a bell with me. I finally checked. Yep, Angeles Arrien is the author of my particularly favorite handbook for Tarot. I think I must put this book you are referencing on my "to Purchase" list.

Thank you for so generously sharing your talent with us.

NicciN said...

Wow, this is so interesting. Thanks so much for sharing this with all of us.

John M. Mora said...

Almost a thousand year old rosette but for the modern color- I like the way the blue blends into the green in the frame.

Wonder how it would look with the edge saturation muted - but I do like the dichotomy - creates a certain tension.

This one to me is not peaceful.

My best.

dianeclancy said...

Hi Sue,

This is great ... several of the symbols I have known about .. but this is wonderful!!

I still have my blog give-away

~ Diane Clancy
www.DianeClancy.com/blog
http://Dianeclancy.com/blog/2008/07/post-500-a-give-away/