Pages

Sunday, October 12, 2008

Messenger for Peace Mandala

messenger for peace mandalaMessengers for Peace Mandala - (Mandalas for Peace series) - © Sue O'Kieffe 2008
source image - owl and sandpiper feathers

I was given a bag of feathers over a year ago.I've kept them in my freezer in a plastic bag in order to kill the mites which reside in them naturally. Today I scanned two of them in order to create this mandala.owl and sandpiper feathers It's much easier for me to identify birds than it is their feathers, but I do believe they once belonged to an owl and a sandpiper (or one of those other long-legged shore birds...)

Whenever I find feathers, I think of them as a sign, a message; and while doves are traditionally a symbol for peace, the owl is moreso a symbol of wisdom, darkness, death, and knowledge. I believe this death is transformative, a molting of old behaviors and beliefs that no longer serve mankind. In this particular mandala,the center is rings and rings of circles, which offers a sense of unity amongst diversity, protections, and old growth...like the rings of a tree. The Star represents the Self...upright, rooted to the earth, well grounded. The earthy golden brown represents the end of a healing process, the autumn season, the thin golden veil between the physical and spiritual worlds.

I am grateful to these birds who shed their feathers that allowed me to relay their messages of hope and joy that will arise when light bursts forth upon the darkness.

This mandala, with its focus on Animal, is second in a series for the Mandalas for Peace Project. You can read more about this project here. If you are a mandala maker reading this blog, I hope you will consider joining us over at the Mandala Oasis.

~Sue O'Kieffe
Sacred Circle Mandalas

9 comments:

Cate Rose said...

Awesome, Sue! I love feathers, too, and always feel as though I've been gifted when I find one.
Hugs.

healingmagichands said...

Another feather collector here. . . I also feel so blessed when I receive a feather. and your use of the patterns in the feathers for this mandala is just wonderful. I have a yellow shafted flicker feather sitting on my desk right now.

John M. Mora said...

The signature in the image is new....very strong image. ove the pattern and colors and the frame.

John

Doe Grozs Art said...

I tagged you if you want to play...
Doreen

Anonymous said...

Hi Sue,
I have a Red Tail Hawk feather sitting on my desk. Nice soft mandala.

ps I sent in my request to join MandalaOasis.

shayndel said...

It is so light, and I can feel the feathery petals flying off and constantly renewing. Its a beautiful lesson for humans. If only we could shed so many of the 'old' values; we hold on to so much.
But as you write, it really is happening, isn't it?!

The Artful Eye said...

Mites! I have collected so many feathers left behind by my feathered friends and hadn't thought about mites. Blimey, now what? I must gather them all and freeze them that's what I'll do.

The soft gentle feel of the feather, it's beautiful browns and off whites lend itself so beautifully to this mandala. Feathers are like bird whispers.

I hope you're doing well. I have so much catching up to do.

Anonymous said...

Hi
Wonderful message for man kinds to live with peace,it's nice feather image,you may find more related information on...

Ann Christine Dennison said...

Beautiful and tender with a beautiful message! I am off to the mandala for peace project now :-)