Pages

Thursday, August 13, 2009

CROW CAWS GOLD MANDALA

Crow Caws Gold Mandala
Crow Caws Gold Mandala - (Messenger Mandala series) © Sue O'Kieffe 2009
source image - crow feather

The universe is full of magical things patiently waiting for our wits to grow sharper.~ Eden Phillpotts
I got really excited when I started reading about crow medicine, after I was gifted with this feather. Even at this moment while I'm writing, I can hear either a crow or raven cawing outside my window.

When I read Crow calls out that the secret magic of creation is calling in Ted Andrews' book Animal Speak, I got shivers. As I was creating this mandala, the name Crow Calls Gold came to me; but it wasn't until later, when I discovered that crows were associated with medieval alchemy, that the title made sense.

I was guided to use 10 rays for this image. When I did a little research, I discovered all sorts of things. Ten is a number associated with creation and the Universe, and also represents Divine Law. It is the end of a cycle and the beginning of another. It represents life and death. Black, the color of Crow, is the color of creation. It represents night and also the womb. Likewise, the cycle of night and day, death and rebirth are also part of crow's medicine.

Crows are intelligent, observant and aware. Though a color of the night, they are a daytime bird that remind us that the magic is everywhere, if we are open to seeing it.

When I asked what this mandala was offering, what I heard back was Honor What Is.

(You can read the story of How Sue Received Her Crow Feather and Found Her Joy at my latest blog, The Awareness Apprentice.)

ref.cit. Ted Andrews Animal Speak pgs 130-131; Riding the Beast