Pages

Monday, December 13, 2010

Abundant Blessings of Light Mandala

Abundant Blessings of Light (Circles of Winter 2010) © Sue O'Kieffe 2010
source image: cotoneaster

I grew up in Minneapolis, and every year at Christmas time there was always something in the news about the Festival of Lights and the celebration of Santa Lucia. I can remember seeing photographs of a blond haired girl with a crown of candles in her hair. When I finished creating this mandala, the words Santa Lucia came to mind and so I did some googling  to learn a little more.

In Sweden, the shortest day of the year is today, December 13th, and so the tradition of the Festival of Lights is grounded in the celebration that the days are growing longer. Santa Lucia was a wealthy Italian woman born in the 3rd century A.D.who was martyred for her Christian beliefs. She is one of the few Catholic saints worshipped in the Lutheran church.


Lucia was known for her kindness. When I breathe into this mandala and feel its gift to us, what comes back to me is light filled compassion. I feel that energy that hums with Love.

Please know that your lives are blessed with abundant Light and Love.

Bright blessings
Sue O'Kieffe
Sacred Circle Mandalas

No comments: