Pages

Wednesday, April 04, 2007

MORE FROM MOTHER EARTH

earth's splendorEarth's Splendor - (Earth Mysteries series) - © Sue O'Kieffe

Creating mandalas from images of gems and minerals has not only been challenging, it has also been educational. I have always loved stones, but I have never really liked science. A by-product of collaborating with my friend dosmangoes has been to learn just a bit more about the earth.

You might be surprised to know that the source image for this mandala is amethyst. I havespirit elestial always associated amethyst with the translucent purple Brazilian amethyst commonly seen in rock shops and jewelry stores. This specimen is from Thunder Bay, Ontario, Canada. I understand that this is not entirely comprised of amethyst; if you look towards the bottom of the photograph, you can see the dense purple colored bands of this mystical stone.

The challenge that I feel in creating imagery from these minerals is translating the energy I feel in these stones into the mandalas. I want to honor the stones. The journey so far has been fun for me.

I am curious to know what you see and feel when you look at Earth's Splendor. Please share your thoughts with me.

4 comments:

Susan Elkin said...

Earth's Splendor is a glorious celebration of spirit living within everything that touches life.

You capture that profound soul that lives in all that surrounds us, with great beauty.

- Susan Elkin

dianeclancy said...

Hi Sue -

I really like your signature on this mandala. It looks spiffy - what font is that (may I ask) - as a graphic designer I always like to know interesting fonts.

Is the brown part of this stone amethyst? I am surprised by that! But it does have a similar feel to the purple amethyst - the quality of form.

You do a great job - in my opinion - of translating the energy from the original image to the mandala.

Again, the structure is one of the simpler ones ... I love the stars in the center. It feels like you have shown the heart of the crystal.

Thank you for sharing this!

- Diane Clancy

Unknown said...

Diane - there are many minerals that comprise this amethyst. Another is hematite. I do very little enhancing when I create these mandalas from stone, so the color is fairly true to the way I receive the photograph. This amethyst from Canada is quite amazing to me, and very very old.

Unknown said...

Susan, Thank you for your gracious comment. Sometimes when I look at these stones I see beyond what is visible; that is where my frustration comes from...the never ending exploration to obtain the most exquisite of communications!
~Sue O'Kieffe