Pages

Sunday, July 15, 2007

SATISFACTION

discovery
DISCOVERY - (Circles of Light series) - © Sue O'Kieffe 2007

I had a satisfying weekend. Friday was the opening for one of the art shows I am in, and a friend and I hobnobbed and schmoozed with the local art community. For the first time I really felt like I was part of it, and I came home feeling elated. An artist I know looked at my work and wondered what it might look like on a white background. So I decided to see what I thought. I like it with this image alot.

I have been considering the approach I used for this mandala for a while
sunrise roseand decided to give it a spin using my brand new Photoshop CS3 software I spent a few hours installing yesterday and today. I don't know what I think of the software, but the mandala was fun. I created two separate mandalas from the image of this rose and blended the two layers together using blending modes. I like the painterly effect I achieved. I have used this technique before but never in my mandalas, and I think I will continue to explore this technique.

I hope you all had great weekends and were able to stay cool/dry/warm depending on your climate and hemispheric placement on the planet!

3 comments:

dianeclancy said...

Hi Sue,

Absolutely beautiful!! Quite a winner! Yes, it is very painterly.

I will be eager to hear how you like CS3 - still deciding whether to go it.

So glad for you that you are feeling a part of the local artist community - as that starts to happen, it's a great feeling!

That original rose is pretty - a Peace Rose?

~ Diane Clancy
www.dianeclancy.com/blog

Deb Kirkeeide said...

Sue
Oh, this is beautiful. I like it on the white background it gives it a very pure, clean feeling. Very serene to me.
I got to wondering what my paintings would look like when used as a source for mandalas like yours. It would be an interesting experiment I think. I work on CS3 at work I haven't quite figured everything out since I don't use it for everything. But there are some nice features.
Congratulations on your satisfying weekend. I think that feeling of community is what I am craving as well.

Rima said...

Lovely creation. The white background is perfect for this one. I hope we'll be seeing more with a light background, it does give an even more ethereal quality to your work, which is quite meditative to start with.

I was wondering if you tried that pink that's in the original image for the bakground? wouldn't that be fun?