Pages

Sunday, March 09, 2008

INVITATION TO SPRING


Invitation to Spring - (Circles of Fun collaborations) - Sue O'Kieffe/John Mora 2008
It's spring fever. That is what the name of it is. And when you've got it, you want - oh, you don't quite know what it is you do want, but it just fairly makes your heart ache, you want it so! ~Mark Twain

This past week on the North Coast of California brought with it a great burst of flowering energy and color, and I am feeling the effects of spring fever. Last week after work I went to the town plaza for ice cream and ended up spending an hour taking photos instead during that delicious hour of golden light before sunset. It far surpassed any sugary vanilla sweet I have ever tasted.

I offered John Mora a photo of a palm treeI took on my shooting spree. Those palm trees are full of nesting starlings, and walking underneath them can be a little dangerous. Don't look up. Plop!Splat!

John returned the favor by sending me this rendering(it's blog premiere, I believe):

which I played with, altering orientation and adding a little more texture



What is an invitation but an open window with lace curtains blowing from wind? Im not sure what this flowering plant is, but I knew it would make an inviting light- filled overlay to the earthy sturdiness of palm trees on the Arcata Plaza.



I'm also involved with a little spring cleaning. My external hard drive arrived on Friday. Im looking forward to getting my files in order there, freeing up more space on my C drive, and giving Photoshop a little more breathing room for increased performance. I can hardly wait to order my new camera and look for a class in digital photography. Im really looking to improve my craft.

So those of you who still see slush and snow, please know that spring and all that is glorious about it is certainly on the way.


Sue O'Kieffe
Sacred Circle Mandalas

10 comments:

John M. Mora said...

Great Sue and it makes me think of St Patrick's Day - soon and the day OI planmt sugar snaps.

Your combinationis beautiful - thank you.

Starlings were released in Ny by someone who wanted the "birds of Shakespeare" in America. Released in Central Park - the first time the experiment failed and the second release led to a horrible invasion. I think they are even in Alaska now.

Tough birds that can eat banana peels, rice, garbage, anything.

Starlings have pushed many a bluebird and woodpecker out of a nest cavity.

Take care.

The Artful Eye said...

Beautiful collaboration here.

I am ready for spring, which is usually brief here. It also feels like we launch immediately into summer.

Flowers here are rampant and gorgeous.

dianeclancy said...

Hi Sue,

Lovely mandala! And how fun how it was created! Thank you for letting us know that spring will arrive.

Getting room on your hard drive is great! Good luck.

~ Diane Clancy
www.DianeClancy.com/blog
www.YourArtMarketing.com

Cate Rose said...

Hi Sue,
Your "reoriented" and "textured" piece reminds me of Hoffman fabrics -- all those wonderful batiks that folks use for really exciting quilts. If you haven't already, take a peek in Fabric Temptations next time you're on the Plaza in Arcata. Simply divine!
Hugs, Connie

Irene said...

I very much liked the collaboration effort and pilfered it right away.

The mandala is more than beautiful and has a heavenly light, as many of them do, but you already knew that.

I had to translate "starling" into Dutch and saw that it was just an ordinary bird that we see a lot here. I thought it was more special than that. "Starling" sounds better than "spreeuw."

Kim said...

hi Sue...
this is gorgeous and epitomises the freshness and beauty of spring ...great collaboration !!

Anonymous said...

the rain in california falls mainly in the winter...de professor

Judith HeartSong said...

oh just lovely. You have a wonderful blog.

Unknown said...

John, it's always a pleasure to collaborate with you and even more fun to read your bird facts. I saw a great seagull on someone's lawn this afternoon and wish I could have snapped his shot and send to you.
Andrea - if you ever do make it up to the other end of this great state, i hope you will look for me
Diane - always nice when you visit; i hope you start feeling better soon. that flu bug has been a bugger here too
Connie- i have often thought my art would look great as fabric, but the latest i've heard is you have to be famous (like peter max) before you can really get paid royalties for your designs.
Irene - I'll look forward to seeing how you take the collaboration to the next level
Kim - thanks for visiting! don't be a stranger, y'hear?
Judith - thanks for coming by and checking out my blog.

Anonymous said...

Hi Sue

I found your site by way of Thalia at Audacia Muliebris. I was admiring - no, drooling over would be more accurate - her stunning mandalas and used the instructions at Earth Mandalas to try one of my own. I thought I should share it with you, seeing as how you were her inspiration.

It's not quite Spring yet here in Boston, but maybe I'll get my camera out today and see if I can capture some first glimpses. Look for more mandalas from me soon!

Thanks Sue!