Pages

Friday, March 07, 2008

COLORS OF THE DAY

pueblo















Pueblo

pen and ink, crayon
© Sue O'Kieffe 2008




I believe I channeled this rendering from the spirit of an ancient Mayan. Doodled before and after my art show, focused on colors and textures of the desert...hot dry gritty piercing visionary questing. These doodle structures have appeared before on my meanderings on paper. A river runs through it.

I really don't think new crayons are for children anymore. My box of colors has names like wild strawberry, mauvelous, hot magenta, purple pizzazz, shocking pink. Granny smith apple, inchworm, timberwolf, robin's egg blue, dandelion. Im so relieved they didn't rename periwinkle, my favorite color as a child, as some mean-spirited rumor I read somewhere had led me to believe. It's good to retain those sentimental favorites too. Oh, yes, and of course there is still red.

Do you have a favorite crayon color?


Sue O'Kieffe
Sacred Circle Mandalas
(for the Create Every Day 2008 Challenge)

5 comments:

Cate Rose said...

Let's see...burnt sienna, raw umber, red violet, seafoam. Did you ever have a party with your friends when you were a kid, where you cut up crayons with plastic knives and forks and ate them? After all, they were non-toxic. I remember putting that to the test half a century ago!

The Artful Eye said...

Lovely doodle. I see the Southwest too.

Favorite crayon color...Periwinkle. Favorite colors, greens,purples,rich tuscan yellows.

My sister is out of country. Upon return and hopefully if my feeble mind doesn't forget. I will get name of printer.

Debi said...

I don't have a box of crayons. :(

From your fabulous indigenous channeled doodle, though, I can say whole heartedly I love the crayon color that made that river.

A River Runs Through It is one of my all time favorite movies, and it is a wonderful short memoir as well.

John M. Mora said...

I like the smell of crayons best - me, I like soft pastels - French ones.

Irene said...

Do you know, that as a child, I never liked crayons? I always thought they were so unhandy and not at all accurate when it came to drawing exactly what I wanted and even when it came to coloring, I didn't like them. I liked coloring pencils much better and still do. I thought crayons were a cheap way for kids to have to color and that pencils were superior.

Having said that, you do seem to use yours well and I see how it can be done right, so apparently other people don't have that problem with them. I must have a prejudiced feeling against them.