Pages

Sunday, August 03, 2008

A MANDALA PROMPT

As the final chapter in my discussion on Angeles Arrien's book Signs of Life, I am offering up a mandala prompt.

  • Draw the circle, square, triangle, spiral and equidistant cross and rank them in preference from one to five.
  • Draw/create a mandala using the symbols in positions 1, 3 and 5
  • If you decide to experiment and have a blog, leave a link in the comments section so we can see your mandala
  • I would love to hear how you felt about your mandala or the process itself.
--------------------

When I was creating digital mandalas to go with this series, I never really felt like the individual shapes were being isolated that well, so I thought I would do something different (since my favored shape in position 3 is the spiral= change) and draw my mandalas using the square(#1), spiral(#3) and circle(#5).

considering changeConsidering Change (Reflections Series) - © Sue O'Kieffe 2008
neocolor II's, oil pastels, prismacolor gold metallic art marker

Even though the spiral is the central focus of this mandala, it felt equal to the other shapes. Change seemed more like an idea than something that was likely to occur anytime soon.

resisting changeResisting Change - (Reflection Series) - © Sue O'Kieffe 2008
colored markers, black sharpie

The spiral, along with four snakes (symbols of transformation), is contained in the square. The energy of the spiral feels trapped. I am looking for an answer to what looks like resistance.



foundation of changeFoundation of Change - (Reflection Series) - © Sue O'Kieffe 2008
rubber stampings, sharpies, crayons, oil pastels, digital embellishments

I am grounded on a firm foundation. My nature is change, and I willingly embrace it. My life is spacious and free. I am whole.


Sue O'Kieffe
Sacred Circle Mandalas


11 comments:

Anonymous said...

http://rethaw.com/path-3aaa.png

Anonymous said...

thanks for the lovely musical accompaniment.

"I watch the ripples change their size, but never leave the stream
Of warm impermanence"

holy guacamole. wowza. gotta love that artist.

Cate Rose said...

Sue, I love these doodle mandalas. I like how organic they are, unstructured. Really great!
Hugs.

Anonymous said...

I do so love the different shapes in the mandalas...the coloring..the joy..the movement...

John M. Mora said...

mandoodles, ladydoodles, humandoodles

Anonymous said...

Look at Sue, drawing her own mandalas! I love it!...and I will bookmark this prompt; very cool!
Bravo! Bravo! I am thrilled to be witness to this new process for you; and, I am happy for you too!

Keep shinin' my dear...
Cheryl

Unknown said...

Thanks to all of you who commented here. I hope you found (or find) some inspiration in Arrien's theories.

David: I'm a big fan of your
photography. Thanks for posting a link to one of your mandalas!

UA: Aloha!I do enjoy your mysterious appearances from time to time. Thanks for pointing out Bowie's lyrics. Beautiful!

Connie: It's fun doing something different, freeing, get out of that familiar box

Pattie: The experience of drawing and coloring mandalas had a different energetic and affirmative content for me, for sure. I thought about the great way you incorporate affirmations in your work as my final affirmative statement seemed to flow from my fingertips!

Cheryl, dear: Thank you so much for your support and encouragement.

healingmagichands said...

Hello, Sue. I have been enjoying this series of posts. I used to draw my own mandalas on a regular basis, and I havent't been doing it lately. I'd like to thank you for your mandala prompt, it made me get out my colored pencils and draw a manadala. You can visit it at: http://healingmagichands.wordpress.com/2008/08/07/mandala-magic/

Thalia said...

I thought it was "for more permanent sands" but who knows.

Mine's at my blog, but since it's still set to private for the time being, I'm afraid that you, Sue, will be the only one to see it just now.

My three shapes were the spiral, circle, and triangle.

Why did you pick one, three and five?

Thalia said...

Actually, I can give a link to the picture itself and bypass the blog entirely, can't I?

Let's see if that works.

I'm not sure how I feel about the mandala yet, though I do like the colors. I never know, really, until I sit with a piece for a while what I think of it or what it means.

dianeclancy said...

Hi Sue,

It is so interesting seeing your interpretations - it is clear to me what you are saying ... very very cool!!

I am going to look at mine more again.

Thank you for a most interesting series!!

~ Diane Clancy
www.DianeClancy.com/blog
http://Dianeclancy.com/blog/2008/07/post-500-a-give-away/