Pages

Sunday, April 22, 2007

DEDICATION TO BEAUTY

joy
Joy Mandala -(Healing in Circles series) - © Sue O'Kieffe 2007

What I like best about the art that I make is the privilege of creating such beautywild onion from every day occurrences. Growing up in Minnesota I never saw wild onion growing in the proliferation with which it does here in Northern California, and the flower still delights me as a bringer of spring joy. I took this photograph of wild onion on Easter Day this year; the flower does have a sort of feel of miniature Easter lily, doesn't it? I see it even more in its translation into the mandala.

I do think that part of my calling to my art is in my dedication to beauty. I feel good about what I am doing, proud of my product and honored to use my talents in such a positive way. They are all a reflection of my own journey, but I know from the responses people have shared with me that I touch something deeply profound in them as well. My job is to create the art without expectation and let others find their own meanings. This process is often humbling in ways I would never expect.

Thank you for reading my blog and sharing in my art and my processes. If you would like to share your thoughts with me, I would love to read what's on your mind.

1 comment:

dianeclancy said...

This does look like an Easter lily. How fitting that this symbol of life comes after your last post in memory of those who died.

I really like the bright, light feel of this mandala. That star in the middle is quite beautiful.

I think you and I both, Sue, have a passion for beauty in our art - I think that is partly why we like each others' work so much.

~ Diane Clancy
www.dianeclancy.com/blog