Pages

Saturday, November 08, 2008

AEDM 8 - WEAVING A DREAM

weaving a dreamWeaving a Dream - (Mandalas for Peace series) - © Sue O'Kieffe 2008
source image - spider web

Spiders are nature's mandala makers, and autumn is a perfect time to witness their beauty. When I googled for spider medicine stories, I discovered in many cultures spiders are considered weavers of magic. They weave a web that remind us of the interconnectedness of life. Did you know that the spider web was believed to give the alphabet to man, so that we could communicate with each other, all over the world? And here we are, doing just that.

Someone who has the power of the spider will see enhanced balance, creative energy, and writing skills. Magic and intuition are also all part of this totem’s medicine.

I like having spiders around me, and it takes a lot for me to remove them from my home.

This mandala is my contribution for the Creativity intent for the Mandalas for Peace project. If you do not know about the project, be sure to read about it here.

I'm enjoying Leah's AEDM project and how much fun it is to challenge myself to try something new (nearly) every day.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh! I LOVE spiders...better outside than in but I can deal. Spders showed up big time (and totally unexpectedly) in the epic poem I wrote for my master's thesis - and in dreams on the way there for both me and a classmate. Did I mention i LOVE spiders?!

Deb Kirkeeide said...

Weaving the dream is very magical. It looks like it is formed of millions of stars.

Kate Jobe said...

I love this mandala. I am very influenced by spider energy and have studied information about their gifts for some time...you have captured the quality of the energy of weaving the luminous web.

Kate

Margaret Ann said...

Cosmic magic...is what it is! Gorgeous! :)

Gabi Greve said...

Spiders are great mandala weavers ...
lovely!

GABI

The Artful Eye said...

I like spiders too! A bit more apprehensive with the Black Widows and the Tarantulas which we have plenty of but the Orb Weavers are way cool.

Leah said...

ooo, this piece is *gorgeous!*

Kris Cahill said...

I must say I am not much of a spider lover, though I do like spider webs and am very impressed with the skill and strength it must take to create them.

This mandala is gorgeous, rich and deep. It reminds me of fabric stitched in the shibori style before being dyed. I agree, you are an abstract artist!

John M. Mora said...

lovely - "lacy lilting lady losing love lamenting"

Do ya know the song?

Ann Christine Dennison said...

I love this mandala, it has a beautiful energy!

Thank you, I too am crazy, I too have spiders living in the corners of my home and let them be. I thought I was alone. They are also the symbol of light and every time I see one I am reminded of this.

The only problem with not taking the spiders out is that they get these tiny spider kids. They are very sweet :-)

Anonymous said...

I too say spiders are natural mandala makers. Weaving a Dream is soft and magical.