Pages

Wednesday, December 26, 2007

HOLIDAY MANDALA 6

christmas frostChristmas Frost Mandala - (Seasonal Circles series) - © Sue O'Kieffe 2007
source image: bedstraw

We had frost on Christmas Day here on the North Coast of California. frosted bedstrawIt was Earth's gift to me, since I had been wanting to photograph leaves with icing on them for a couple of weeks. I believe the source image is bedstraw, a plant which in the "olden days" actually was used for stuffing mattresses.

When I look at the mandala, I see the image of the Green Man.

green manThe image to the left is just one of many versions of the Green Man, who once was considered to be the virtual embodiment of the life force that ran rampant through every green and growing thing.(John Matthews, The Winter Solstice). He plays a predominant part in the Arthurian legends in the story of Sir Gawain and the Green Knight. In the story, Sir Gawain beheads the Green Knight who is able to retrieve his head and return his own blows to King Arthur's nephew. The story serves to remind all about the power of restoration, the death of the old year and the birth of the new. (Matthews)


When I create my mandalas, I never intend for these images to appear. They just sort of show up on their own. It is part of the magic of mandala making for me. (Don't you just love all those MMMMMMM's?)

4 comments:

dianeclancy said...

Hi Sue,

This does resemble the Green Man ... I love that Green Man!! Very nice!

I love the magic of mandalas!!

~ Diane Clancy
www.dianeclancy.com/blog

Irene said...

I love the magic of mandala making too, especially if you are making the mandalas because you are the master mandala maker. I do love all the mmm's.

Bobbie said...

I see that little green man looking back at me. It always amazes me when I put the last slice of the pie in how it becomes a mandala then and only then. I see in this mandala more promise of spring and life!

Kris Cahill said...

I also like the happy "accidents", the gifts that appear while making art. And I like your Green Man, and the story!